Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Tutting


This is arguably the greatest ad ever made but I would say that wouldn't I

I used to be the Marketing Manager for Hamlet Cigars which constantly used to cause the more religious to tut when I told them what I did. This story from Beyond Evangelical by Frank Viola smiled on me and I can't believe it has taken me so long to hear it. The chapter is called 'Sinning differently than others'


"Allegedly, Charles Spurgeon invited D.L. Moody to speak at an event he hosted.
Moody accepted and preached the entire time about the evils of tobacco, and why the Lord doesn’t want Christians to smoke.
Spurgeon, a cigar smoker, was surprised at what seemed to be a cheap shot leveled by Moody, using the pulpit to condemn a fellow minister.
When Moody finished preaching, Spurgeon walked up to the podium and said, “Mr. Moody, I’ll put down my cigars when you put down your fork.”
Moody was overweight."

No comments:

Saturday blog-sweep

 Some interesting books for pastors The State we're in Attack at dawn Joseph Scriven Joy comes with the morning When small is beautiful