Sunday, April 24, 2011

'Afraid yet filled with joy'

This morning I am preaching on Matthew 28 v 8

....'.afraid yet filled with joy'...

In my reading this week I found this quote by Tolstoy. If death is the end, then there is despair indeed but if Christ is risen joy is on offer. Why go for anything less.


"My question- that which at the age of fifty brought me to the verge of suicide – was the simplest of questions lying in the soul of every man…..a question without an answer to which one cannot live. It was: “What will come of what I am doing today or tomorrow? What will come of my whole life? Why should I live, why wish for anything, or do anything?” It can also be expressed thus: is there meaning in my life that the inevitable death awaiting me does not destroy?"

Leo Tolstoy 'A confession'

[Tim Keller 'The Reason for God']

Why not join with Gladys Knight in singing 'For my redeemer liveth'.

He is risen indeed!

No comments:

Saturday blog-sweep

 Some interesting books for pastors The State we're in Attack at dawn Joseph Scriven Joy comes with the morning When small is beautiful