Thursday, July 22, 2010

Memory

A great pal who now lives in Canada first introduced me to the idea of the memory verse on an Alpha course 20 years ago and he is a happy reader of the blog. Every now and then he mails me his summary thoughts on my posting. Here is his latest:

"Two posts have recently got me thinking.
The first concerning verses/passages worth memorising.  As you know I am a great fan of memorising Scripture...  Might I suggest the following are worth the effort:
The prologue to John's Gospel, 1:1-18
Romans 5:1-11
Philippians 2:1-11
Colossians 1:15-20
Plus individual verses like: Genesis 15:6; Judges 6:14; Isaiah 43:25; Jeremiah 29:11; Micah 6:8; Zephaniah 3:17; Matthew 20:28; 2 Corinthians 5:17; Galatians 3:21; 2 Timothy 3:16-17; Hebrews 11:1; James 4:7; 1 Peter 5:7 - to name a few.

Second - the question of which one book you would recommend to folk going to seminary....
I thought about "Knowing God" by JI Packer, or "The Divine Conspiracy" Dallas Willard, or "Christ plays in ten thousand places" by Peterson - and all of them are good.  But I wonder whether a less "heavy" tome is what is needed to help someone who is in a crisis - a book that they might be likely to read at such a time.  My humble suggestion is, "The Jesus I never knew" by Yancy - all about Jesus, written to keep a person focused on the essentials, easy to read yet very profound, and the author himself confessed it was written in response to theological training that had undermined his faith."

No comments:

Saturday blog-sweep

 Some interesting books for pastors The State we're in Attack at dawn Joseph Scriven Joy comes with the morning When small is beautiful