Monday, July 20, 2009

I only read books on holiday...

For many, a couple of weeks away is the only time you might get to read some books. I read this in the Times and it got me thinking of all the things that I might read I about, would it be a book about the building of the Brooklyn Bridge?

It got me thinking of some books you might like to choose for the beach bag.

1. Shantaram- This is a cracking read and tells the true story of one man's adventure in India. I read it on the beach in January and have since passed it on to a few others and they have loved it.

2. The Prodigal God- I am always hopeful of reminding people of grace and my question to you would be why on earth have you not got around to reading this yet? I know, because you haven't had time. Then take it to the beach:)

3. The Great Bridge and Endurance are two of the Time's re-reads and maybe they are worth reading at least once which I for one have not done.

4. Lloyd Jones: the first forty years- this was last years summer read and I have to be honest I could not put it down. If you are a preacher with a passion for the gospel you may not be able to either.

5. On fire for God- this is a little book by John Pollock I remember reading very soon after I became a Christian and it captivated my heart. It tells the stories of the great missionary pioneers in roller-coaster narrative. The chapters are short so you could do one a day without too much difficulty. Only 1p on Amazon!

6. I looked over my shelves and remember I especially enjoyed these two and thought they might be ready for a re-read- Nicolas and Alexandra for the history buff which tells the extraordinary story of Rasputin and then for a weird but wonderful novel A prayer for Owen Meany- These are true classics.

Happy reading.

No comments:

Saturday blog-sweep

 Some interesting books for pastors The State we're in Attack at dawn Joseph Scriven Joy comes with the morning When small is beautiful