Monday, June 08, 2009

The benefits of keeping a journal

The other day I read a friends Facebook update which read "Just off to be alone and write my journal in the garden". It reminded me of the time I recommended to him the joy of keeping a journal and it was a great encouragement that it has come to be such a helpful thing for him.

This article called "Do I have to keep a journal?" prompted me to think again on why I keep a journal and how you might get started on keeping one yourself. 

1. Why keep a journal?

Well, for me it is a record of me learning to follow Jesus. I have a poor memory and confess I quickly forget what God has done and his faithfulness to me. I then look on my bookshelf at my journals (25 at the last count not including my current one) and am soon encouraged. 

2. What do you write?

Quite simply, I would say write anything. I have a discipline of regularly writing lists of thanksgiving. I start at 1. and keep writing until I run out of things that I am thankful for. I write the things God speaks to me about-verses, thoughts, prayers, plan, concerns.  I keep a record of the things that I am reading and often record quotes. I keep a record of key events. It can be a place for private thoughts. In a season of pain it can be a place of healing. I write down encouragements whenever they come. If you are a creative type you might write poetry or draw. I write most when I take my quiet days in my quiet place (by the way-find yourself a quiet place. I have been going to the same place on and off for 17 years).

3. How do I get started?

I would highly recommend How to keep a spiritual journal by Ron Klug as the best book I know to get you started. I would also buy a moleskine journal. The great benefit of the moleskine is that it has a pocket in the back to keep letters, words, tickets, information etc. Some of my journals have packed pockets and some are less packed. 

I hope this is a help and might encourage you to give it a go.

No comments:

Saturday blog-sweep

 Some interesting books for pastors The State we're in Attack at dawn Joseph Scriven Joy comes with the morning When small is beautiful