Friday, February 27, 2009

Reading

















I chatted to a friend at church after Live Life about reading. He asked how I read and how I know what to read. The how is a simple one-I just always have a book on the go and wherever I am will get through a few pages-waiting for the bus, standing by the kettle, waiting for a meeting to begin when everyone else is late, sitting in Starbucks-anywhere. The truth is, if you want to read you will.

Secondly, the what to read. I am just interested in books. A book like Indelible Ink is a book for readers-if you don't own it BUY IT NOW. The appendix alone is a source of enough reading to keep you going for the rest of your life. What you read does matter. John Stott in his essay in Indelible ink quotes his own words from 'Your mind matters' saying, "The kind of food our mind devours will determine the people we become". 

Selection is not a science it is a discovery. Conversations, friends, blogs, bookshops and Amazon all lead me to new books. I, like many, buy more books than I read or to put it better I very often buy a book and then read it later. When choosing what to read I will scan my shelves or the piles around me and feel prompted to a title. 

Currently, I am reading Leading with a limp and have revisited an old favorite Why revival tarries. Piper's book Finally Alive seems to be being talked about a lot so I might read it soon.

Tim Challies is a prolific reader and in this enjoyable post 'Random thoughts on reading'  he reflects on what reading is all about. It encouraged me to read more I hope it will do the same for you.

No comments:

Saturday blog-sweep

 Some interesting books for pastors The State we're in Attack at dawn Joseph Scriven Joy comes with the morning When small is beautiful