Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Famine

The Scriptures often talk about famine. Joseph was tasked with making provision for when the times became hard in Egypt. It is therefore interesting to watch our times. XL last week and Lehmans this week and who knows what will be next. So easily things get swept away. Pensions, savings, stocks, houses.

So my question to myself is in what do I trust?

Do I really trust Christ with everything?

Could it all be swept away and would I still stand faithfully?

At times like these, we need to be reminded of the Gospel. In fact, we always need to be reminded of the Gospel. We must preach it too. Perhaps now more than ever. I read this recently and it realy stopped me in my tracks. Is this really the Gospel? Can the news really be this good and if so why don't I tell more people? See if it has the same impact on you:

Even though my conscience accuses me of having grievously sinned against all God’s commandments and of never having kept any of them, and even though I am still inclined toward all evil, nevertheless, without my deserving it at all, out of sheer grace, God grants and credits to me the perfect satisfaction, righteousness, and holiness of Christ, as if I had never sinned nor been a sinner, as if I had been as perfectly obedient as Christ was obedient for me. All I need to do is to accept this gift of God with a believing heart.”

—The Heidelberg Catechism, Q&A 60

(H/T Of first importance)

And for the visual among you here is Mark Dever on the same subject.



(H/T J .Taylor)

1 comment:

thoughtful said...

I feel that a lot of people will be feeling isolated and at risk at the current time and as the church we should outreach to those we know that wealth and material possesions doesn't define us as people.

God loves our hearts not our wealth or what we do for a job.
Some people will be feeling very fearful that they may loose their jobs, or that the credit crunch will bite so hard into their lives that it may start to make them have to redefine their sense of worth and value.

Action -Christians at work and at play, make sure people know you love them for who they are inside not what they have on the outside.

Saturday blog-sweep

 Some interesting books for pastors The State we're in Attack at dawn Joseph Scriven Joy comes with the morning When small is beautiful