Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Turkish Delight

I've been away on an adventure. Sometimes you do things not knowing how they will turn out and they turn out really, really well. You do something that teaches you things, that is bigger and more regenerating that it can ever have intended to be and that you are so glad you have now done. Where have I been? Well, on a walking holiday in Turkey. Yes, I did say a walking holiday. I went with Exodus with whom I have in the past climbed Mount Toubkal which I also highly commend.

Here are some reflections on my week in Turkey

1. There is something great in doing something that is bigger and involves more than just you.

2. There is surprise in going to a place that is off the beaten track- who would of thought that lunch with a mountain dwelling Ranger and his wife could be so special.

3. It is possible to be married for 45 years and still be in love and talking and para-gliding/diving.

4. People give of their own time to things they care about. One person on the trip teaches migrants English on a Wednesday evenings because it matters to her- not because she gets paid.

5. Stuff happens to people and, as Wimber used to say, you either let it make you "bitter or better". For quite a few I talked to it was definitely the latter.

6. Passionate people (SAS Dave) don't have time to sit around moping. They crack on and get well (or don't sometimes) as they move on , or walk on in this case, onwards and usually upwards. He was a man of many parts and never ending ditties of information and experience. His Peshwar father revelation of the last day just seemed to sum this up.

7. It is possible to be enthusiastic about the cello, the violin and being a vegetarian.

8. When you go for a Turkish bath and the man says "take all your clothes off and lie on the slab" that is indeed exactly what he means.

9. Turkish waiters in the main seem to be very annoying.

10. Walking in 37C is hard work. Now there's a surprise.

11. Read Good to Great and Water for Elephants both of which are worth putting in the bag for you summer holiday

12. Best Turkish food- Chicken with Almonds

13. Best Turkish tree- The Jesus Tree- It is actually called the Mediterranean strawberry tree that secretes a red liquid that the locals say is to remind us of Christ.

14. Most mountains in Turkey seem to contain deserted ancient cities with amphi-theatres (all least all the ones we visited). No one seems the least interested.

On the last night, we went to a French restaurant run by a Turk. On the back of the door was this quote which struck me 1. Because it was in very large letters 2. Because I normally disagree with French existentialists but chose not to on this occasion which only goes to prove I must have been on holiday.

" Don't walk in front on me I may not follow, Don't walk behind me I don't like to lead, Just walk beside me and be my friend " Albert Camus

The music of the holiday was Modern Times by Bob Dylan

Have a listen

No comments:

Saturday blog-sweep

 Some interesting books for pastors The State we're in Attack at dawn Joseph Scriven Joy comes with the morning When small is beautiful