Sunday, April 15, 2007

My life so far



I returned from Canada after spending the summer there and someone asked if I'd read anything good. I thought for a moment and then said with a caveat that they may be surprised by my answer. When I told them they laughed. Anyway, I persevered with my enthusiasm for this book and gave a copy to my sister. The first thing she said when I saw her this weekend was "What a fantastic book and what an incredible women"

The reason I bought it was because I heard Fonda reading it on Radio 4 and her story was compelling. Why is it good? Well, she has had simply the most extraordinary life. Well ,actually five lives in one to be true. Child of an acting father, film star, peace campaiger, millionaire business woman and billionaires wife.

The book ends with a surprising twist in the tail. The quote she heads up the Epilogue with might give you a clue.

" It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't often happen to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are REAL, most of your hair has been lved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints andvery shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand" The Velveteen Rabbit

Do you understand what she means? I hope so.

3 comments:

Lancaster Gardener said...

Cookie... I do know what you mean. What is more inspiring for me about Jane is her political stand for decades. A very inspiring woman indeed!

David Cooke said...

She tells of her Hanoi Jane years in the book and she got such a hard to for them. What a women of courage and perseverance. A lesson to us all.

Jonathan Mobey said...

Have just enjoyed browsing your blog. You are a truly dedicated blogger and example to us all!

Saturday blog-sweep

 Some interesting books for pastors The State we're in Attack at dawn Joseph Scriven Joy comes with the morning When small is beautiful